Over the last seven years, Republicans in Congress have fought an overreaching Executive Branch, led by a president who appears to have little regard for the constitutional limits of his power.
Without a veto proof majority in both the House and the Senate, we’ve turned to the judicial system by filing lawsuits and briefs against the president’s actions.
With our help, the president’s unconstitutional executive amnesty plan was stopped by the courts and just last week a federal judge ruled that the Obama administration’s funding of an Obamacare subsidy program was unconstitutional.
These are big wins and they occurred because of real votes taken by the House of Representatives – votes and actions that would never have occurred if Democrats were in charge.
Additionally, House Republicans have relentlessly investigated the Benghazi terrorist attack through a special committee we created. If Democrats were in control, there would never have been a thorough investigation and the public would know far less about what really happened.
We’ve taken major, positive steps in other areas as well:
- Cut spending by more than $176 billion and the deficit to its smallest amount since 2007.
- Enacted the largest education reform bill in more than a decade, giving power back to state and local governments and blocking the federal government from coercing states to adopt Common Core. We zeroed out the federal funding stream that was used to reward states that adopted Common Core.
- Cut the EPA’s staffing level to its lowest level since 1989.
- Prohibited the UN Arms Trade Treaty from being funded or implemented.
- Cut IRS funding by more than $1 billion and froze most of its operations budget.
These things all happened because we stood up for our conservative values and took a principled fight to the president.
I will never back down from standing up for your conservative values and being your voice in Washington. – Tom